PhD Scholarships available: Acclimation/Adaptation of reef algae to global climate change
Applications are now closed. Thank you for your interest in our Lab.
The PhD candidates will join a recently funded project in collaboration with A/Prof Catriona Hurd (Univ. of Tasmania) and Prof Bob Steneck (Univ. of Maine) to investigate the potential for tropical macroalgae to acclimate/adapt to global environmental changes. Special emphasis will be placed on coralline and fleshy algae from the Great Barrier Reef.
Interested candidates should:
- Be able to commence by January/February 2017.
- Have diving experience and ideally basic to moderate knowledge of coral reef ecology.
- Condition of the scholarship requires applicants to have a Bachelor of Science with Honours with at least one or more publication(s) as first author. Non-Australian applicants must have a Masters Degree (or equivalent) with preferably one or more publication(s) as first author.
- Have excellent understanding of experimental design and quantitative skills.
- Be able to spend time in remote research stations.
- Be self-motivated, committed, and able to work as part of a team.
- Have strong proficiency in written English.
Interested applicants should email me at their earliest convenience (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a statement of interest, a curriculum vitae and contact information for 2 professional references. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed (by telephone or Skype) and successful candidates will be recommended to apply to the university scholarship scheme (https://www.griffith.edu.au/higher-degrees-research/research-scholarships). A final selection panel will decide on the award of scholarships.
Further application information is available here:
Funding: Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship-GUPRS provides a living allowance of AUD $26,288 per annum. Australian and NZ citizens and Australian permanent residents are exempt from paying tuition fees. The Griffith University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship GUIPRS covers tuition fees for the international applicant for up to three years.
Applications to the university scholarship scheme close: Monday 3 October 2016.
Applications without personal contact with the prospective supervisor (Diaz-Pulido) are unlikely to succeed, so take the initiative and *start the conversation now*!