Bio & Research Interests
I am interested in the ecology, biology and taxonomy of crustose coralline algae (CCA), as well as the effects of ocean acidification and global warming on this important group of algae. During my PhD, I looked at the effects of ocean acidification on the supply-side ecology of CCA. Being an important component for the reef and one of the most sensitive groups to ocean acidification, it is essential to explore the potential impacts on the supply-side ecology, as this will provide a better understanding of the implications to adult population and subsequent effects on other reef organisms such as corals.
- PhD Marine Biology, Griffith University, Nathan Campus & Australian Rivers Institute, Australia, 2016
- BSc (Honours) Faculty of Marine Biology, Universidad de Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano, Santa Marta, Colombia, 2010
- Ordoñez A., Diaz-Pulido, G., Doropoulos, C. 2014. Effects of Ocean Acidification on Population Dynamics and Community Structure of Crustose Coralline Algae. The Biological Bulletin 226: 255-268
- Kennedy, E., Ordoñez A., Lewis, B., & Diaz-Pulido, G. 2017. Comparison of recruitment tile materials for monitoring coralline algae responses to a changing climate. Marine Ecology Progress Series 569:129-144.
- Kennedy, E., Ordoñez A., Diaz-Pulido, G. 2017. Coral bleaching in the southern inshore Great Barrier Reef: a case study from the Keppel Islands. Marine and Freshwater Research.
- Ordoñez A. & Diaz-Pulido, G. 2016. Spatial and temporal patterns of recruitment and reproduction, and stock-recruitment relationship of crustose coralline algae on Heron Island- GBR. 13th International Coral Reef Symposium, 20-24 of June, Hawaii.
- Ordoñez A., Kennedy E., Diaz-Pulido, G. 2015. Effects of ocean acidification and warming on spore germination and photosynthesis of early stages of the reef-building alga Porolithon onkodes. V international Rhodolith Workshop, 27-31 of July, Costa Rica.
- Ordoñez A., Kennedy E., Diaz-Pulido, G. 2014. Spore germination and early development of crustose coralline algae in an acidifying and warming ocean. 88th Annual ACRS Conference, 27-29 August, Australia.
- Ordoñez A. and Diaz-Pulido, G. 2014. Germination and early development of crustose coralline algae in an acidifying and warming ocean. HDR symposium. Griffith University.
- Ordoñez Alvarez A., Diaz-Pulido, G., Doropoulos, C. 2012. Ocean acidification affects community structure of crustose coralline algae. Book of Abstracts. 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, 9-13 July, Cairns, p. 173.
- Ordoñez Alvarez A. et al. 2008. Population size of Montastraea annularis, Montastraea cavernosa and Porites astreoides corals in coral reefs of protected vs. non-protected marine areas. National Seminar on Marine Science and Technology, Colombia.